Injuries can happen in any automobile accident, but because of the size of garbage trucks, accidents with these vehicles tend to be more dangerous, with greater risk of serious injury and fatalities. A truck accident lawyer can help hold negligent drivers accountable while getting victims the financial compensation they deserve.
At Reed & Terry, L.L.P, our attorneys represent victims of garbage truck accidents in Sugar Land, TX and surrounding areas, including Katy and Richmond. If you have been injured in a garbage truck accident, contact our law firm today to see how we can help you.
Garbage Truck Accidents Can Be Devastating
Accidents with garbage trucks present unique challenges. The size and weight of garbage trucks can increase the risk of serious injuries or even death when they collide with smaller cars, pedestrians, and bicyclists.
Due to the size and weight of garbage trucks, it's difficult for them to brake quickly or make evasive maneuvers if a hazard suddenly appears. The results can be devastating, even if a garbage truck driver tries to avoid an accident.
Causes of Garbage Truck Accidents
Garbage truck accidents can happen anywhere garbage trucks operate. However, whether on a busy city street or a quiet suburb, people who drive garbage trucks are expected to maneuver their vehicles safely and without injuring others.
Unfortunately, garbage truck accidents do happen. Some possible causes include:
- Large blind spots: Garbage trucks have large blind spots directly in front of the cab, on the sides of the truck where loading arms are equipped for lifting trash cans, and behind the truck. These blind spots, combined with frequent stops and entering traffic, can increase the risk of accidents.
- Poor weather conditions: Poor weather conditions can make it more difficult for anyone to safely drive, but because of the size of garbage trucks, it's particularly difficult for them to make sudden stops or make fast maneuvers.
- Driver fatigue: Like any job, garbage truck drivers may feel fatigued while working, but driving while fatigued is dangerous and can cause accidents.
- Garbage truck poorly maintained: Garbage trucks that are poorly maintained may cause an accident. For example, a garbage truck may be unable to stop due to brake failure caused by negligence in servicing the vehicle.
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is one of the biggest causes of all accidents. Distracted driving occurs any time a person takes his or her attention away from driving, whether to change the radio, speak to a passenger, or make a phone call.
Garbage trucks are generally either city owned or owned by a waste management company with drivers being employees of the city or waste management company.
People who have been injured in a garbage truck accident may seek damages from the truck driver or the city or company that owns the truck and employs the driver.
It's important to consult a truck accident attorney when injured in a garbage truck accident. A truck accident attorney can help hold responsible parties liable and get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are a loved one that has been injured in a garbage truck accident, you are encouraged to call (281) 491-5000 to schedule a consultation at the law firm of Reed & Terry, L.L.P.