I Was in a Crash While Commuting to Houston: What Are My Legal Options
More and more people are coming to the Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land, TX, area. This population growth adds to the congestion on the region's roadways. It’s not surprising, then, that we hear about more car accidents happening in Houston. This is especially true for people who have to commute to get to and from work.
The team at Reed & Terry would like to consider commuting accidents around Katy, Sugar Land, Richmond, and Victoria. We’ll cover some major roadways leading into and out of Houston, then look at potential legal options you can pursue.
Major Roadways in and Out of Houston
We’ve noted in a previous blog post why there are many auto collisions in Houston. As a large, car-dependent area, many of our residents wind up on major thoroughfares just to get to work and see their family and friends.
Some of the major highways and roads where accidents occur include the following:
- Interstate 45
- Highway 59/Interstate 69
- Interstate 10/Katy Freeway
- Texas State Highway Beltway 8
- Westheimer Road
Potential Causes of the Car Crash
Some of the most common causes of car crashes include the following:
- Speeding: Excessive speed increases stopping times and can lead to crashes that result in catastrophic injuries.
- Reckless Driving: In addition to speeding, drivers may make frequent lane changes, fail to signal, or act too aggressively behind the wheel.
- Distracted Driving: Texting while driving, making a call without a hands-free set, and rubbernecking could all increase the chances of a crash.
- Drunk Driving: Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol can increase the chances of a serious crash.
- Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, lack of maintenance, debris in the road, and other hazards can make accidents more likely.
- Bad Weather: Rain, snow, ice, and fog can all make dangerous highways and roads even more hazardous.
Legal Options Following an Auto Collision
Following any kind of crash in the Houston area, you can file a personal injury lawsuit to seek damages. For surviving loved ones of a person killed in a crash, you can file a wrongful death lawsuit against the liable party.
How Our Injury Accident Lawyers Can Help You
The legal team at Reed & Terry can guide you through the legal process. In addition to our years of legal insight, we remove the financial pressure of hiring a car accident lawyer.
- Free Consultations: Your initial consultation at our law firm is totally free of charge with zero obligation. Tell us what happened and we can let you know what steps you can take next.
- Contingency Fee Representation: If you do hire us to work on your case, you won’t pay a retainer or any hourly attorney fees. We will only get paid if we can successfully settle your case or win damages in court.
Learn More About Your Legal Options
If you or a loved one has been injured in a collision, contact our Texas law offices today. We have locations in Sugar Land, Richmond, and Katy, TX. With free consultations and contingency fee representation, you have nothing to lose when you work with us.